Student Vaccine Incentive Program
Get vaccinated. Get rewarded.
Fully vaccinated students at the Lawrence and Edwards campuses are eligible to receive incentives worth more than $235,000, including weekly drawings for free tuition, upgraded parking passes and a range of other prizes, after uploading their COVID-19 vaccine records.
In addition, KU will offer $40 gift cards to the KU Bookstores to the first 4,000 students who receive the first dose of a vaccine sequence at on-campus vaccine appointments and clinics as students return for the fall semester. These students will also be eligible to receive a $10 KU Dining gift card after setting and returning to receive a second dose of vaccine.
Participation in this incentive program is completely voluntary.
In order to qualify for the weekly prize drawings, students need to upload a completed vaccine card to the Watkins Health Services Patient Portal.
Other prizes will be awarded through weekly drawings conducted on Fridays starting on Aug. 27 and running through Oct. 29.
- Three students will win a cash prize equivalent to one semester’s worth of undergraduate in-state tuition, valued at $5,091.
- Three students will win a cash prize of $5,000.
- Two students will win a gold parking permit that allows them to park in any non-reserved colored or housing lot on campus.
- Four students will win $1,000 in KU Dining Dollars that can be spent at retail locations on campus and in residential halls.
- One student will win an Apple Products Package, including an iPad, AirPods and an Apple Watch.
- Other students will win packages including sets of two football and men’s basketball tickets to a variety of games, including the Kentucky and Missouri basketball games from the Chancellor’s Office.
- Students will also be eligible to receive gift cards from retailers like adidas, Rally House and other local retailers and restaurants.
Get your vaccine
Students may set an appointment to receive a vaccine at Watkins Health Services. Also, several walk-in clinics will be available during the first part of the semester. Clinic dates, times and locations are:
- Saturday, Aug. 21, noon to 2 p.m., Watkins Health Services building
- Monday, Aug. 23 through Friday, Aug. 27, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Level 4 of the Kansas Union, Traditions Area
- Tuesday, Aug. 31, and Wednesday, Sept. 1, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., Lobby, Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center
Eligibility and other notes
- Students must upload a vaccine card through the Watkins Health Services Patient Portal with a fully completed vaccination sequence by the close of business on the day prior to the drawing to qualify.
- KU students must be enrolled in at least one course at the Lawrence or Edwards Campus for the fall 2021 semester on the close of business on the day prior to the drawing to qualify.
- Students awarded a weekly prize are not eligible for additional weekly prizes.
- KU benefit-eligible employees who are also students are eligible to participate in weekly drawings.
- Prizes may not be exchanged for other prizes or substituted.
- Anyone who receives any prize valued at $600 or more will receive an IRS 1099 form and will be responsible for the taxes on the gift. Consult your tax advisor or contact the IRS for tax advice.
- International students who receive any prize will receive an IRS 1042 form and will be responsible for the taxes on the gift. Consult your tax advisor or contact the IRS for tax advice.
- Some prizes may affect a student’s financial aid package.
- Prizes are not transferable.
- Students who accept a prize agree to allow their name and/or likeness to be used to publicly announce their prize status.
- Prizes are subject to change without notice at the university’s discretion.
- Uploaded vaccine records may be subject to additional verification before prizes are awarded.
- The university reserves the right to change the rules for the program at any time at its discretion.
Use of vaccination status information
Access to disclosed vaccination information is limited to employees administering the incentive program. Data will be aggregated to help the university understand the vaccination rate on our campuses.
The incentives were paid for using approximately $235,000 of federal Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund dollars designated to help higher education institutions fight the pandemic. Additional incentives were provided by a number of Jayhawk partners, including adidas, Pepsi, Rally House, the KU Alumni Association and Truity Credit Union.
Additional prizes may be added or updated later on this site, along with a complete schedule of drawings.
"Vaccination is the best way each of us can protect ourselves and our community against COVID-19 and the Delta variant. We know we can count on our students to make good decisions -- which includes getting a vaccine if they haven't yet done so -- as they return for the fall semester.”