How to Get Tested
If you do not have symptoms but need to be tested before or after traveling, you can go to Protect KU HQ on the fourth floor of the Kansas Union next to Alderson Auditorium.
- You do not need an appointment.
- Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
- Parking is available in lot 16 across from Kansas Union. There are designated parking stalls for this effort.
Symptomatic or Close Contact
If you are experiencing symptoms or are a close contact to someone who has tested positive, please call the KU COVID Call center to be scheduled for an appointment or speak with a nurse.
- Call 785-864-9000.
- Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday and 8 a.m. to noon on Saturdays and Sundays.
Because this test is self-administered, it is critical that you closely follow the instructions found here in order to prevent a delay in obtaining your test results.
Review this video before your test
Saliva-based test process
Please review these step-by-step instructions before you attend your testing appointment.
- Please review this video before the day of your test.
- Remember, do not do the following things beginning at least 30 minutes before your test:
- Eat or drink
- Chew gum
- Brush teeth
- Bring a pen with you
- Bring a photo ID, such as a driver’s license and/or KU ID.
- Bring your smart phone to register your collection kit. Be sure to register using your KU email and local address (surrounding communities if you commute to Lawrence for school or work).
- When you arrive to the testing site at your scheduled time, follow instructions for kit pick-up, registration, specimen collection, and completed kit drop-off. You will see signs, receive guidance from on-site testing staff, and you will have written instructions inside your kit.
- Upon arrival, a testing staff member will verify your identity, confirm written consent and hand you a test kit.
- You will then be directed to park, sanitize your hands and open your kit to register your cell phone.
- Once your saliva tube is filled, follow the instructions for replacing the funnel cap, changing to the screw cap and screw tightly. Shake specimen for 5 seconds.
- Peel the barcode from your printed instructions and affix over the current 5500 barcode on the tube. Write your name on the provided label (exactly the same name as you used to register online) and attach to the tube.
- Place tube inside the sample bag and seal.
- KU test guides will collect the specimens and samples will be couriered to the lab at least daily.
- Further information is available on this Saliva Test Instruction Sheet.
Thank you for your commitment and patience as we welcome more people to campus while continuing to prioritize the health of our community.