Testing options moving forward
Members of the KU community through the summer can request symptomatic or asymptomatic testing at Watkins Health Services during regular operating hours.
We are proud of our community’s efforts to help us prioritize safety during the pandemic, and our testing efforts are an important part of that work.
If you have questions about this process, please email email@example.com.
Guidance for receiving a test
If you have fully completed your COVID-19 vaccinations, you are welcome to receive a test through this process, but one may not be needed depending on your situation. Check the latest guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which also provides guidance for domestic and international travel for those who have completed vaccination.
You should not receive a test if you have previously tested positive for COVID-19 during the past 90 days.
The saliva-based PCR tests offered through this process are intended for people who not displaying current COVID-19 symptoms. If you are currently experiencing symptoms, contact your health provider or Watkins Health Services for information on how symptomatic testing options.
Because this test is self-administered, it is critical that you closely follow the instructions found here in order to prevent a delay in obtaining your test results.
Review this video before your test
Saliva-based test process
Please review these step-by-step instructions before you attend your testing appointment.
- Please review this video before the day of your test.
- Remember, do not do the following things beginning at least 30 minutes before your test:
- Eat or drink
- Chew gum
- Brush teeth
- Bring a pen with you
- Bring a photo ID, such as a driver’s license and/or KU ID.
- Bring your smart phone to register your collection kit. Be sure to register using your KU email and local address (surrounding communities if you commute to Lawrence for school or work).
- When you arrive to the testing site at your scheduled time, follow instructions for kit pick-up, registration, specimen collection, and completed kit drop-off. You will see signs, receive guidance from on-site testing staff, and you will have written instructions inside your kit.
- Upon arrival, a testing staff member will verify your identity, confirm written consent and hand you a test kit.
- You will then be directed to park, sanitize your hands and open your kit to register your cell phone.
- Once your saliva tube is filled, follow the instructions for replacing the funnel cap, changing to the screw cap and screw tightly. Shake specimen for 5 seconds.
- Peel the barcode from your printed instructions and affix over the current 5500 barcode on the tube. Write your name on the provided label (exactly the same name as you used to register online) and attach to the tube.
- Place tube inside the sample bag and seal.
- KU test guides will collect the specimens and samples will be couriered to the lab at least daily.
- Further information is available on this Saliva Test Instruction Sheet.
Thank you for your commitment and patience as we welcome more people to campus while continuing to prioritize the health of our community.