Spring 2021 COVID-19 Testing
Testing will be conducted Jan. 19 – 30
All faculty, staff and students (except those living in KU Student Housing) must answer a few questions by clicking the button below to determine whether you need to participate in spring entry testing for COVID-19 and receive information on how to schedule an appointment to get a test.
If you plan to be on campus before Feb. 12, you will be required to participate in COVID-19 entry testing.
Students, faculty and staff must register using the button below. There are two options for testing:
- Walk-in testing will be available on the fourth floor of the Kansas Union at the former KU Card Center next to Alderson Auditorium.
- Drive through testing will be available in the Mississippi Street parking garage next to the Kansas Union. Enter the testing site from the lower entrance accessed from Mississippi Street.
NOTE: Your test results will be tied to the phone number you use to register. You will need a smartphone for testing. If you cannot bring your own device to the testing site, testing staff will be able to assist you to register your test.
Because this test is self-administered, it is critical that you closely follow the instructions found here in order to prevent a delay in obtaining your test results.
Review this video before your test
Saliva-based test process
Please review these step-by-step instructions before you attend your testing appointment.
- Please review this video before the day of your test.
- Remember, do not do the following things beginning at least 30 minutes before your test:
- Eat or drink
- Chew gum
- Brush teeth
- Bring a pen with you
- Bring a photo ID, such as a driver’s license and/or KU ID.
- Bring your smart phone to register your collection kit. Be sure to register using your KU email and local address (surrounding communities if you commute to Lawrence for school or work).
- When you arrive to the testing site at your scheduled time, follow instructions for kit pick-up, registration, specimen collection, and completed kit drop-off. You will see signs, receive guidance from on-site testing staff, and you will have written instructions inside your kit.
- Upon arrival, a testing staff member will verify your identity, confirm written consent and hand you a test kit.
- You will then be directed to park, sanitize your hands and open your kit to register your cell phone.
- Once your saliva tube is filled, follow the instructions for replacing the funnel cap, changing to the screw cap and screw tightly. Shake specimen for 5 seconds.
- Peel the barcode from your printed instructions and affix over the current 5500 barcode on the tube. Write your name on the provided label (exactly the same name as you used to register online) and attach to the tube.
- Place tube inside the sample bag and seal.
- KU test guides will collect the specimens and samples will be couriered to the lab at least daily.
- Further information is available on this Saliva Test Instruction Sheet.
Thank you for your commitment and patience as we welcome more people to campus while continuing to prioritize the health of our community.